Don`t agree with Murthy: Kapil Sibal
Neemrana: HRD Minister Kapil Sibal
on Friday refused to subscribe to Infosys chief Narayanamurthy`s
view about slump in the quality of education in IITs and
pitched for creating more such institutes in the country.
"We are capable of producing world class institutions
like IITs and IIMs and we need to have more of these
institutions to reach almost every student capable and
aspiring to get into these institutes," Sibal told a gathering
at NIIT University here.
"I don`t believe or adhere to what Narayanamurthy has
said," he told an event to mark the 10 million milestone for
School Learning Division (SLD) of NIIT.
Murthy had recently voiced his displeasure over the
quality of engineers that pass out of the IITs and said there
is a need to overhaul the selection criteria for students
seeking admission to the prestigious technology institutes.
Sibal said the ministry is in the process of setting up
`National Vocational Educational Qualificational framework`
possibly by next year, so that students can take up courses
according to their interests.
He also said that 26 new institutions are being set up
across Mumbai where graphics related courses will be taught.
To a query on the quota issue, he said, "Quotas are not
for creating barriers in the society, but to bridge the same.
We have to rationalise our society."
Sibal delivered a keynote address and facilitated
outstanding students under different programme of School
"This project has been closest to our heart, since its
inception in 1999. We have just touched the 10 million mark
out of 200 million students across the country. We have
reached this far, but more is to be done," NIIT chairman
Rajendra S Pawar said.
"We realise the previous educational models have become
obsolete today. Thus, the need for `knowledge society
universities` is imperative now. We are committed to make
Information and Communication Technology more affordable and
accessible by innovating new methodologies for learning and
technology deployment," he said.
The institute provides integrated IT programmes for
government and private educational institutions to strengthen
both the computer education and computer-aided education.
Several state governments have collaborated with NIIT to
take computer literacy to government schools. The partnership
across 18 states such as in Assam, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat,
Maharashtra is a bid to overcome the digital divide among
students across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared