Early monsoon rains fury in Haryana, alert sounded
Chandigarh: Heavy rains in several parts of Haryana, particularly in Yamunanagar district, has led to floods even as water level in the Yamuna river rose alarmingly prompting authorities to sound a high alert in the neighbouring districts of Karnal, Panipat and Sonepat.
Several low-lying villages in the district were flooded after the Yamuna river received heavy rainfall in its catchment areas.
The rains have led to an alarming increase in the water level of Yamuna, with over 8 lakh cusecs water flowing through the Hathni Kund barrage early this morning.
A high alert has been sounded in the neighbouring districts of Karnal, Panipat and Sonepat.
"This was maximum ever water which flowed through the barrage at a given point of time. However, the water flowing in the barrage had gradually now come down to around 6 lakh cusecs this afternoon,"
Yamunanagar`s Deputy Commissioner, Markand Khete Malish told a news agency over phone today.
Fifty-two people, including 15 children, stranded on a tract of land in Haryana`s Yamunanagar district due to floods triggered by heavy rains, were rescued today.
Chhachrauli (271 mm), Bilaspur (270 mm) and Jagadhri (261 mm) in Yamunanagar district received heavy downpour overnight, a MeT official said here.
Meanwhile, the MeT official said that several other parts of Haryana were lashed by rains including Ambala (34.9 mm), Faridabad (71 mm), Ballabgarh (46 mm), Gurgaon (60 mm), Nilokheri (76 mm), Karnal (41 mm), Rewari (15 mm), Panipat (10 mm), Sonepat (30 mm) and Panchkula (30 mm).
In neighbouring Punjab, only a few places including Faridkot (19 mm), Fatehgarh Sahib (24 mm), Nabha (30.5 mm), Ropar (15 mm) and Mohali (35 mm) were lashed by rains.
Chandigarh, the common capital of the two states, received a heavy downpour (41.5 mm) overnight.
The southwest monsoon had yesterday advanced into entire Haryana, Chandigarh and Punjab, 15 days ahead of its schedule. Last year, the monsoon had hit the region on July 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray