`Economically weak general category people to get reservation`
Chandigarh: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Wednesday said people belonging to general category, but are economically weaker, will get the benefit of reservation.
"Brahmins, Rajputs, Khatris, Punjabis and Mahajans will get the benefit of reservation being given to people belonging to weaker sections of the state," he said in the Assembly.
Hooda said this in reply to an issue raised by Congress MLA Venod Sharma regarding reservations being given to economically backward sections of Haryana.
Venod Sharma, during the Zero Hour, had raised the question that no clear instructions have been issued regarding castes included for reservation benefit of financially weaker sections of the society.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Randeep Singh Surjewala told the Assembly that Haryana Backward Classes Commission has recommended atleast ten per cent reservation to the financially weaker people belonging to general category in its fourth report submitted to the government on December 12, 2012.
He said that the benefit of reservation would only be given to financially weaker sections of general category as people belonging to Scheduled Castes, backward classes and special backward classes are already getting benefit of reservation.
Clear directions have been issued in this regard and the matter would be more clarified if needed, he added.
On the directions of Hooda, a six-member sub committee of cabinet ministers was constituted under the chairmanship of Haryana Finance Minister H S Chattha which fixed the criterion for reservation of financially weaker candidates of general category.
The sub committee had given its report on January 22, 2013 which was approved by Council of Ministers on January 23, 2013.
Haryana Department of Scheduled Castes and Backward Classes Welfare is taking action on the decision of council of Ministers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi