ED attaches Chautala`s flat; launches money launde
New Delhi: Enforcement Directorate on Thursday attached a residential property of former Haryana Chief Minister O P Chautala under the criminal provisions of money laundering laws after he was recently convicted in a teachers recruitment scam.
This is the first attachment order by the agency against the five-time Chief Minister even as it prepares to attach assets acquired by him "illegally and beyond his known source of income" with an estimated value of over Rs 6 crore.
The first attachment order has been issued by the agency against him for a flat in Gurgaon on Delhi`s outskirts and, according to ED, the house is in the "exclusive" name of Chautala with a total value of Rs 46,96,000.
The flat is located in Sector 28 of Tech-city under Haryana Jan Pratinidhi Cooperative Group Housing Society scheme.
The agency is probing the politician and his associates under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) after it registered a case in this regard based on a CBI charge sheet filed in the same case.
The ED`s attachment order can be challenged at the PMLA Adjudicating Authority here within 180 days of issue.
78-year-old Chautala, chief of Indian National Lok Dal, along with 54 others, is on interim bail for medical treatment after he was sentenced by a Delhi court in the 2000 Junior Basic Trained (JBT) Teachers recruitment scam.
On January 22, the trial court had convicted and sentenced Chautala and nine others, including his son Ajay Chautala, to 10 years` jail term for illegally recruiting 3,206 junior teachers.
Among other convicts, 44 have been sentenced to four years in jail and one was sentenced to a five-year jail term.
All of them were held guilty of cheating, forgery, using fake documents as genuine, conspiracy under the IPC and for abusing their official position under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened