Efforts on to fill vacancies meant for disabled persons: Hooda
Panchkula: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Wednesday said efforts are being made to fill up vacancies meant for disabled persons in various departments of the state government.
Speaking at a function on Helen Keller Jayanti Samaroh organised by the National Handicapped Welfare Council, Haryana unit here Hooda announced Rs 21 lakh from his discretionary fund for setting up of a Physiotherapy Centre in the complex of the Council to be named after Helen Keller.
Hooda said the state government has increased the retirement age of disabled persons having not less than 70 per cent disability, from 58 to 60 years.
Also, a relaxation of more than 10 years in age has also been given to such people in government jobs, he said.
Describing Helen Keller as a source of inspiration for people, Hooda said despite being blind, deaf and dumb she emerged as a noted writer, lecturer and political activist.
She was honoured with the highest civilian honour of America in 1964. By transforming her physical weaknesses into her strength, she set an example for the world to ameliorate, Hooda added.
The Chief Minister said a disabled person whether physically or mentally, is an important part of the society similar to other human beings.
Unemployed youth having hundred per cent disability were given monthly scholarship of Rs 1,000 whereas, Rs 1,500 and Rs 2,000 were given to graduate and post graduate students respectively, he said.
Monthly scholarship ranging from Rs 400 to Rs 800 was also given to disabled students on the basis of their classes and disability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row