Ex-minister blames Cong for Chautala`s woes
New Delhi: In a setback to CBI, prosecution witness and former Haryana minister Karan Singh Dalal has blamed Congress party for the woes of legally-embattled
state`s former Chief Minister OP Chautala, facing trial in a Delhi court in a disproportionate assets case.
Dalal, testifying before special judge PS Teji, alleged that the members of the inquiry committee, constituted to look into the allegations against Chautala, were "directed by the
Congress party" to collect materials against him.
The agency, which arrayed Dalal as its second prosecution witness, was in for the shock as he did not support its case.
"The committee was constituted as per the decision of the Congress party in Haryana and it was decided by the party (as to who would be) the chairman and members (of the inquiry
"All the members of the committee were directed by the party to collect materials against Om Prakash Chautala and his family and consolidate the same," Dalal, former agriculture
minister, testified as a prosecution witness.
Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) leader Chautala is facing trial for allegedly possessing wealth exceeding his legal income. The CBI, on March 26 last year, had filed the charge
sheet against Chautala, indicting him for allegedly possessing assets worth Rs 6.09 crore, far exceeding his legal income between 1993 and 2006.
The chargesheet had said Chautala`s wealth was 189 percent more than his income of Rs 3.22 crore during the period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report