Ex-sarpanch murder: Witness found dead
Chandigarh: The son of the key witness in the Karnal`s former sarpanch murder case on Thursday sought a CBI probe into the killing of his father, who was found dead under mysterious circumstances on Wednesday.
The Karnal district administration has forwarded his request to the state government, police said.
The prosecution witness Chamel Singh, missing since Tuesday, was found dead yesterday in a park close to Sector-4 police station in Karnal, they said.
Chamel, native of a Panipat village, had gone missing a day after he was interrogated by the Crime Branch in connection with the murder of former sarpanch Karam Singh.
"We are investigating the case. So far no arrests have been made and we still do not know the exact reason behind the death," Rohtak Range IGP V Kamaraja said.
Karam Singh was found dead near National Dairy Research Institute Karnal, about 130 km from here, on June 07.
His kin had accused Haryana Transport Minister OP Jain and a local MLA Zile Ram of playing a role in the "murder". The duo later resigned, apparently under Opposition pressure.
The victim`s kin Anil Kumar had alleged that Karam had given money to some people for some work but that was not done and when he demanded it back, he was threatened with dire consequences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report