Ex-sarpanch murder: Witness found dead
Chandigarh: The son of the key witness in the Karnal`s former sarpanch murder case on Thursday sought a CBI probe into the killing of his father, who was found dead under mysterious circumstances on Wednesday.
The Karnal district administration has forwarded his request to the state government, police said.
The prosecution witness Chamel Singh, missing since Tuesday, was found dead yesterday in a park close to Sector-4 police station in Karnal, they said.
Chamel, native of a Panipat village, had gone missing a day after he was interrogated by the Crime Branch in connection with the murder of former sarpanch Karam Singh.
"We are investigating the case. So far no arrests have been made and we still do not know the exact reason behind the death," Rohtak Range IGP V Kamaraja said.
Karam Singh was found dead near National Dairy Research Institute Karnal, about 130 km from here, on June 07.
His kin had accused Haryana Transport Minister OP Jain and a local MLA Zile Ram of playing a role in the "murder". The duo later resigned, apparently under Opposition pressure.
The victim`s kin Anil Kumar had alleged that Karam had given money to some people for some work but that was not done and when he demanded it back, he was threatened with dire consequences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- DNA: Analysis of the plight of Onion farmers in India
- India, Iran, Afghanistan ink 'historic' Chabahar port agreement; PM Modi calls it 'corridor of peace, prosperity'
- Jayalalithaa sworn in as Tamil Nadu CM for sixth time, inducts 32 ministers
- Oil prices dip as Iran says no plan to freeze output
- IMF said Greece needs 'unconditional' debt relief from EU creditors
- Man who wanted to “shake hands with lions” arrested!