Family accuses hospital staff of swapping babies
Hisar: The family of a woman, who gave birth to a child at a private nursing home, here on Tuesday accused its staff of swapping their newborn boy with a girl.
28-year-old Deepika, resident of Ludas village, delivered a child this morning at Sawant Nursing Home. The hospital nurse and sweeper informed her family that their new born is a boy and sought tip for the same, the family members alleged.
About five hours later the family members found out that the newborn is a girl.
The situation became tense as they accused the hospital of swapping their newborn boy, following which police was called to probe the matter.
However, Dr Satya Sawant, medical director of the nursing home, claims that Deepika delivered a baby girl and the family was misinformed by the nurse.
"A girl was born to Deepika and the error occurred at the level of one nurse (Kamlesh). The doctor on duty and another nurse have confirmed that Deepika delivered a female child. The entry of male child in the register was also an error on the part of the nurse," he said.
According to Duty Magistrate Sumit Kumar, DNA test of the child and mother will be done to investigate the matter.
Sawant said when the police interrogated Kamlesh, she fell unconscious and could not give a statement.
"It seems to be an inadvertent error by the hospital staff because half a dozen deliveries took place the previous night," Kumar said.
The family members of Deepika have agreed to wait till the DNA report comes from Hyderabad, Kumar said, adding, the girl child will remain with her till that time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists