Farmers block traffic on Sonepat-Rohtak road
Sonepat: Irate farmers blocked the traffic on
the Sonepat-Rohtak road near Kharkhuda town, about 19 km from
here, for several hours in protest against the alleged non-
purchase of bajra by state-owned agencies.
Farmers were agitated after the state agencies denied to
purchase the bajra.
A blockade was erected yesterday in the area by the
farmers which led to traffic jam on both sides of the road.
Senior police and administrative officials arrived on the
spot and tried to pacify the angry farmers but failed in their
Later, Meetu Dhankar Naib-Tehsildar reached the site and
gave assurance to the agitating farmers that the purchase of
bajra will be regularised following which the blockade was
lifted by the farmers late night.
The BJP leaders claimed that a delegation of the ruling
BJD led by Rajya Sabha member Kishore Mohanty visited the
affected areas and admitted of crop loss.
"It shows that the Chief Minister, Agriculture Minister
and entire administration not only lost the confidence of the
people but also that of their own party," the BJP leaders
They claimed that a farmer committed suicide in
Jharsuguda district due to debt burden on October four, while
two others took a similar step in Sambalpur district on
October seven and 18.
Similar incidents have also taken place in Sonepur and
Balasore districts, they said adding that a BJP delegation
today visited Balasore district where a fish farmer committed
suicide, unable to bear the misery and debt burden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets