Five killed in Haryana cracker factory blast
Chandigarh: At least five people were killed and over a dozen injured in a blast in a cracker factory in Haryana`s Karnal district late Monday, police said.
Located in village Goh Mughal Majra, the factory engulfed in fire following the blast that occurred at about 6.30 pm.
The injured were rushed to different hospitals in Karnal town, 130 km from Chandigarh, and were being treated, police officials said.
Karnal deputy commissioner Neelam Pradeep Kasni visited rushed to the trauma centre of the hospital and sent officers to the blast site.
Residents of the area told the police that the sound of the blast was heard even five km away.
Police officials said that the casualties in the blast could have been more had all the 100-odd workers of the factory been inside.
"Since people were away for Janamasthmi celebrations, most workers were not at the blast site. Fire engines were rushed to the village and they controlled the blaze after an hour," a police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM