Five killed in Haryana cracker factory blast
Chandigarh: At least five people were killed and over a dozen injured in a blast in a cracker factory in Haryana`s Karnal district late Monday, police said.
Located in village Goh Mughal Majra, the factory engulfed in fire following the blast that occurred at about 6.30 pm.
The injured were rushed to different hospitals in Karnal town, 130 km from Chandigarh, and were being treated, police officials said.
Karnal deputy commissioner Neelam Pradeep Kasni visited rushed to the trauma centre of the hospital and sent officers to the blast site.
Residents of the area told the police that the sound of the blast was heard even five km away.
Police officials said that the casualties in the blast could have been more had all the 100-odd workers of the factory been inside.
"Since people were away for Janamasthmi celebrations, most workers were not at the blast site. Fire engines were rushed to the village and they controlled the blaze after an hour," a police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'