Five killed in Haryana cracker factory blast
Chandigarh: At least five people were killed and over a dozen injured in a blast in a cracker factory in Haryana`s Karnal district late Monday, police said.
Located in village Goh Mughal Majra, the factory engulfed in fire following the blast that occurred at about 6.30 pm.
The injured were rushed to different hospitals in Karnal town, 130 km from Chandigarh, and were being treated, police officials said.
Karnal deputy commissioner Neelam Pradeep Kasni visited rushed to the trauma centre of the hospital and sent officers to the blast site.
Residents of the area told the police that the sound of the blast was heard even five km away.
Police officials said that the casualties in the blast could have been more had all the 100-odd workers of the factory been inside.
"Since people were away for Janamasthmi celebrations, most workers were not at the blast site. Fire engines were rushed to the village and they controlled the blaze after an hour," a police officer said.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke