Five women devotees killed in Haryana stampede
Sirsa: At least five women devotees were killed in a stampede early Friday at the Dera Sacha Sauda sect headquarters near this Haryana town, police said.
Officials said the stampede took place after 2 am when a congregation ended and gifts were being distributed to devotees of sect chief Gurmit Ram Rahim Singh. Sirsa is around 300 km from Chandigarh. Several people were injured.
The stampede took place when a squall hit the venue and people ran in different directions to take cover. Tens of thousands of sect devotees had gathered for the founder`s day celebrations of the sect here.
Police officials said over 100,000 devotees were inside the sect headquarters Thursday night.
The victims, whose bodies have been taken to the civil hospital here for a post mortem examination, fell and were crushed under the people running for cover.
Sect officials could not be reached as they did not answer any calls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'