Flash flood threat again looms large on Haryana
Chandigarh: The threat of flash floods is again looming large over several parts of Haryana in the wake of torrential rains in neighbouring Himachal Pradesh even as the swollen Yamuna river is posing a danger to people living in villages near its banks.
In view of the heavy rains in the hills, the in-flow of water at Hathni Kund barrage in Yamunanagar district of Haryana has increased forcing authorities to release additional water in Yamuna river.
Around three lakh cusecs water have been released in Yamuna river from Hathni Kund barrage, officials said today adding that the in-flow in Yamuna had increased posing fresh flood threats in some pockets of Yamunanagar, Ambala, Karnal, Panipat, Sonepat district and outer areas of Delhi.
The situation was also bad in Ludhiana, Ropar, Patiala and Anandpur Sahib in Punjab as Sutlej was in spate in the wake of heavy rains in upper hills in neighbouring Himachal Pardesh.
However, other parts of Punjab and Haryana were dry with no rainfall activity recorded barring Rohtak which was drenched by 11.2 mm of rains.
The Met had forecast moderate to heavy rains at a few places in Punjab and Haryana.
Several areas of the two agrarian states had remained flooded with rain waters for months together recently.
Even the prime reservoirs, including Bhakra and Pong, are full to its capacity for the past few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog