Flash flood threat again looms large on Haryana
Chandigarh: The threat of flash floods is again looming large over several parts of Haryana in the wake of torrential rains in neighbouring Himachal Pradesh even as the swollen Yamuna river is posing a danger to people living in villages near its banks.
In view of the heavy rains in the hills, the in-flow of water at Hathni Kund barrage in Yamunanagar district of Haryana has increased forcing authorities to release additional water in Yamuna river.
Around three lakh cusecs water have been released in Yamuna river from Hathni Kund barrage, officials said today adding that the in-flow in Yamuna had increased posing fresh flood threats in some pockets of Yamunanagar, Ambala, Karnal, Panipat, Sonepat district and outer areas of Delhi.
The situation was also bad in Ludhiana, Ropar, Patiala and Anandpur Sahib in Punjab as Sutlej was in spate in the wake of heavy rains in upper hills in neighbouring Himachal Pardesh.
However, other parts of Punjab and Haryana were dry with no rainfall activity recorded barring Rohtak which was drenched by 11.2 mm of rains.
The Met had forecast moderate to heavy rains at a few places in Punjab and Haryana.
Several areas of the two agrarian states had remained flooded with rain waters for months together recently.
Even the prime reservoirs, including Bhakra and Pong, are full to its capacity for the past few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- CID team visits Murshidabad hospital after two women killed in fire
- India must take Dawood's presence strictly with Pakistan: Samajwadi Party
- At least 10 killed, 32 injured in road accident in China's Guangxi Zhuang region
- Do you know low socioeconomic status can be a factor for heart attack? - Read
- PM Modi bats for eco-friendly Ganesh Utsav, Durga Puja