Flood alert in Punjab Haryana as Yamuna swells
Chandigarh: A flood alert has been sounded in
villages situated on the banks of Yamuna and Ghaggar rivers
flowing through Haryana and Punjab on Saturday in view of increase
in water level due to heavy rains in catchment areas of
neighbouring Himachal Pardesh.
More than one lakh cusecs of water were discharged from
Hathni Kund barrage in Yamuna Nagar in Haryana, officials said
here adding the administration in the two states are on high
alert to face a flood-like situation.
The administration has also directed the district officers
to be present 24 hours to face any situation.
Due to heavy rains in the different areas of Himachal
Pradesh as well as in Shivalik hills, the rain waters flooded
Som river in Haryana and entered villages Manakpur
Lalahrikala, Kahanpura, Urjani, Yakubpur, Bhukadi and
However, the officials maintained the situation was
under control and there was no need to panic.
Even as no rain took place in Punjab and Haryana today,
the maximum temperature in most parts of the region remained
one to three degrees below normal, the Met office said here.
Ambala and Amritsar settled at an identical high of 35.8
degrees celsius, two notches each below normal.
Hisar had a maximum of 37.5 degrees celsius, two notches
below normal followed by 36.1 degrees celsius at Rohtak, two
notches below normal and 36 degrees celsius at Narnaul, three
notches below normal.
Among other places, Karnal had a high of 35 degrees
celsius followed 34.4 degrees celsius at Ludhiana, three
notches below normal.
While Amritsar had a high of 34.1 degrees celsius, three
notches below normal, Chandigarh settled at a high of 34
degrees celsius, two notches below normal.
The Met forecast light to moderate rains or
thundershowers at a few places in Punjab and Haryana in the
next two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP