Flood alert in Punjab Haryana as Yamuna swells
Chandigarh: A flood alert has been sounded in
villages situated on the banks of Yamuna and Ghaggar rivers
flowing through Haryana and Punjab on Saturday in view of increase
in water level due to heavy rains in catchment areas of
neighbouring Himachal Pardesh.
More than one lakh cusecs of water were discharged from
Hathni Kund barrage in Yamuna Nagar in Haryana, officials said
here adding the administration in the two states are on high
alert to face a flood-like situation.
The administration has also directed the district officers
to be present 24 hours to face any situation.
Due to heavy rains in the different areas of Himachal
Pradesh as well as in Shivalik hills, the rain waters flooded
Som river in Haryana and entered villages Manakpur
Lalahrikala, Kahanpura, Urjani, Yakubpur, Bhukadi and
However, the officials maintained the situation was
under control and there was no need to panic.
Even as no rain took place in Punjab and Haryana today,
the maximum temperature in most parts of the region remained
one to three degrees below normal, the Met office said here.
Ambala and Amritsar settled at an identical high of 35.8
degrees celsius, two notches each below normal.
Hisar had a maximum of 37.5 degrees celsius, two notches
below normal followed by 36.1 degrees celsius at Rohtak, two
notches below normal and 36 degrees celsius at Narnaul, three
notches below normal.
Among other places, Karnal had a high of 35 degrees
celsius followed 34.4 degrees celsius at Ludhiana, three
notches below normal.
While Amritsar had a high of 34.1 degrees celsius, three
notches below normal, Chandigarh settled at a high of 34
degrees celsius, two notches below normal.
The Met forecast light to moderate rains or
thundershowers at a few places in Punjab and Haryana in the
next two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves