Fmr Army chief VK Singh to attend INLD rally
Chandigarh: Former Army chief V K Singh will attend the rally organised by Haryana`s main opposition party Indian National Lok Dal in Rewari on Thursday.
In addition to Gen Singh, Union Minister Farooq Abdullah, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, JDU chief Sharad Yadav, TDP leader Nageswara Rao, grandson of B R Ambedkar Prakash Ambedkar, Col (retd) Kirori Mal Bainsla from Rajasthan and former National Minorities Commission Chairman, Tarlochan Singh, will also attend the function, party president Om Prakash Chautala said.
The former Haryana Chief Minister had been on a whirlwind tour of the state during the past fortnight mobilising people for the rally.
The `Samman Divas rally` is being organised to pay tributes to former Deputy Prime Minister, late Devi Lal, an INLD spokesperson said.
"The party has decided from this year to celebrate Lal`s birth anniversary on November 1, the day when Haryana was carved out as a separate state in 1966, instead of his actual birth date as a befitting tribute to the patriarch who played a key role in shaping and development of the State," the spokesperson said.
Gen Singh, who had locked horns with the Centre on the issue of his retirement age, had last month visited Gorakhpur village in Fatehabad district to express solidarity with villagers who were protesting the setting up of a nuclear power plant in the area.
Incidentally, the INLD too has been opposing the proposed plant citing safety concerns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing