Fmr Army chief VK Singh to attend INLD rally
Chandigarh: Former Army chief V K Singh will attend the rally organised by Haryana`s main opposition party Indian National Lok Dal in Rewari on Thursday.
In addition to Gen Singh, Union Minister Farooq Abdullah, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, JDU chief Sharad Yadav, TDP leader Nageswara Rao, grandson of B R Ambedkar Prakash Ambedkar, Col (retd) Kirori Mal Bainsla from Rajasthan and former National Minorities Commission Chairman, Tarlochan Singh, will also attend the function, party president Om Prakash Chautala said.
The former Haryana Chief Minister had been on a whirlwind tour of the state during the past fortnight mobilising people for the rally.
The `Samman Divas rally` is being organised to pay tributes to former Deputy Prime Minister, late Devi Lal, an INLD spokesperson said.
"The party has decided from this year to celebrate Lal`s birth anniversary on November 1, the day when Haryana was carved out as a separate state in 1966, instead of his actual birth date as a befitting tribute to the patriarch who played a key role in shaping and development of the State," the spokesperson said.
Gen Singh, who had locked horns with the Centre on the issue of his retirement age, had last month visited Gorakhpur village in Fatehabad district to express solidarity with villagers who were protesting the setting up of a nuclear power plant in the area.
Incidentally, the INLD too has been opposing the proposed plant citing safety concerns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees