Gadkari all set to get a 2nd term as BJP chief
Surajkund: BJP`s National Council meeting here on September 27 and 28 will clear the decks for a second consecutive term to Nitin Gadkari as party President after it gives a nod to the amendment in the party Constitution.
The party`s National Executive had passed a resolution in in its last meeting in Mumbai, allowing an amendment in the BJP constitution for a second term for its president.
Gadkari`s current term as president ends in December when he is expected to get a second term, thereby giving him a tenure upto December 2015.
The BJP National Council, which has 1,200 members, will formally adopt a resolution during its meeting here later this week to pave the way for Gadkari`s second term.
As per the current BJP constitution, the party President could only have only one three-year term and there was no provision for its President to be re-elected for a second stint.
Sources said the party`s ideologue, the RSS, is keen on a second term for Gadkari and the party contesting the 2014 general elections under his leadership.
The party`s membership drive is on and its organisational elections will be held soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indus era at least 8,000 years old, not 5,500; culminated due to climate change!
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Sunny Leone, Taapsee Pannu – Stars who donned the purple colour in elan!
- 'Get fit in style'! Shraddha Kapoor stuns in casual too!
- Three in three! Shane Watson has never lost T20 final in his first season with team
- It's a wrap for Vidya Balan-Arjun Rampal's 'Kahaani 2'!