Gang-rape aftermath: Haryana cracks whip on offending vehicles
Chandigarh: In the wake of recent gang-rape of a paramedical student in Delhi, the Haryana government has issued directions for a crack down on vehicles violating norms in the state.
As per the direction, vehicles with tinted glasses and curtains will be challaned or impounded. Commercial vehicles plying in the state will have to keep interior lights on during night and off duty public buses will have to be parked with owners only.
The state government has issued directions to all Superintendents of Police and Secretaries of Regional Transport Authorities to undertake checking of vehicles under provisions of Motor Vehicles Act 1988.
Haryana Transport Commissioner Sumita Misra in a release said that it has been observed that public vehicles like buses, vans and taxis were being used in committing crimes.
She said that commercial vehicles violating contract carriage rules or conditions of permit would be challaned and their permits would be cancelled.
Police would verify antecedents of drivers and other staff deployed on public vehicles.
Buses and autos, driven by unverified staff would be cancelled, she said, adding that photographs of the drivers and conductor would be displayed inside the buses.
She said that telephone numbers of the owner of the bus and police control room would also be displayed inside it.
The transport commissioner also said that a detailed action taken report will be sent to her office within a week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'