Gopal Kanda fails to appear in court, judicial custody extended
New Delhi: Former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda, lodged in judicial custody for his alleged role in the Geetika Sharma suicide case on Friday failed to appear before a Delhi court due to his ill-health.
Kanda could not be produced today before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate D K Jangala on expiry of his judicial custody which was extended till November 2.
The court was informed by jail authorities that the former minister was indisposed and has been shifted to jail hospital.
Meanwhile, his co-accused and employee Aruna Chaddah was brought to the court and she too was remanded to judicial custody till November 2.
46-year-old Kanda, also the owner of private firm MDLR, was earlier hospitalised in August following complaints of high blood pressure.
Both Kanda and Chaddah have been accused of abetting the suicide of former air hostess Geetika Sharma.
Geetika was found dead on August 5 at her Ashok Vihar residence in North West Delhi. In her August 4 suicide note, the 23-year-old victim had said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda and Chaddah.
The Delhi police has chargesheeted the duo for allegedly committing offences under section 306 (abetment of suicide), 120 B (criminal conspiracy), 506 (criminal intimidation), 201 (destruction of evidence), 467 (forgery of valuable security), 468 (forgery with intention to cheat), 469 (forgery with intention to harm reputation) and 471 (using forged documents as genuine) of the Indian Penal Code.
They have also been booked under section 66 of the Information Technology Act which deals with hacking of computers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you