Gopal Kanda not new to controversy
Gurgaon: Haryana`s Minister of State for Home Gopal Kanda, whose name has cropped up in the suicide of a former flight attendant in Delhi Sunday, is not new to controversies.
In July last year, Kanda`s security personnel had badly beaten up former cricketer Atul Wassan on the Delhi-Gurgaon highway after Wassan`s car overtook his motorcade. Though the incident was captured on video, no case was registered as Wassan did not press charges.
Elected as an Independent legislator from Sirsa in the October 2009 assembly polls, Kanda joined the Bhupinder Singh Hooda government in controversial circumstances.
He had to be escorted out to the Sirsa airport under protection of paramilitary forces to enable him to come to Delhi and meet Hooda. The Congress had failed to get a majority in the assembly polls and needed the support of the seven Independent legislators to return to power.
A property dealer-turned-politician, Kanda, a multi-millionaire, was once considered close to former chief minister and Indian National Lok Dal leader Om Prakash Chautala but later fell out with him.
A few months after taking oath as minister, Kanda visited the income tax office in Delhi`s Jhandewalan area. He was facing serious charges, including beating up tax officers during raids at his offices.
Kanda`s driver was involved in a gang rape case in Gurgaon November 2010. The victim was gang-raped in a car in the campus of Jan Pratinidhi apartments (MLA apartments) here in sector 28, where Kanda`s niece lived in the flat issued to him. The victim was working as a maid there. A case was registered.
In another incident in 2010, Kanda was caught on camera using abusive language and asking his security personnel to fire at traders who were observing as strike in Sirsa district after his motorcade was stopped during the protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India