Gopal Kanda reaches Haryana Legislative Assembly
Zee Media Bureau
Chandigarh: A day after he was granted bail by a Delhi court, former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda, prime accused in Geetika Sharma suicide case, came to the state assembly here on Friday.
Kanda was granted one month interim bail on the basis of his request that he wanted to attend the state assembly session and discharge his obligation towards his constituency.
The high profile MLA from Sirsa has spent over an year in the Tihar Jail after air hostess Geetika Sharma named him in her suicide note as the reason for which she was taking the extreme step.
The interim bail was granted to Kanda after he furnished a personal bond of Rs 5 lakh and two sureties of like amount.
The court also directed him that "on the date of his surrendering in the court, he shall file certificate regarding his attendance during the session in Vidhan Sabha, Haryana, issued by competent Vidhan Sabha authority." He has been directed to surrender in court on October 4 by 10 am.
On September 2, Kanda`s co-accused and his employee Aruna Chadha was granted interim bail till November 15 to attend religious and family events.
Chadha was arrested on August 8 last year while Kanda had surrendered on August 18 last year.
The trial in the case began on May 27 when the court recorded the statements of eight witnesses, including police personnel and also the doctor who had conducted the postmortem of the victim.
Both Chadha and Kanda are accused of abetting the suicide of the 23-year-old former airhostess who was earlier employed in Kanda`s MDLR airlines.
They have also been charged with forgery for cheating and harming the reputation of the victim and under the Information Technology Act for sending fake e-mails to the victim.
Geetika was found dead on August 5, 2012 at her Ashok Vihar residence in north west Delhi. In her suicide note, she had said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda and Chadha.
The police had in its charge sheet said Kanda was obsessed with the victim and was putting pressure on her to come back to his company.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report