Gotra marriages: INLD accuses Hooda of doublespeak
Chandigarh: Accusing Haryana Chief Minister
Bhupinder Singh Hooda of doublespeak on the same gotra (clan)
marriage issue, main opposition Indian National Lok Dal on Saturday
asked him to clarify his stand on the matter.
"The Chief Minister must clarify his and his Congress
party`s stand on the matter. He is indulging in doublespeak on
the same gotra marriage issue," INLD Secretary General Ajay
Singh Chautala said.
"He (Hooda) is saying marriages within the same gotra
are not appropriate but, on the other hand, he is maintaining
silence on the issue of amendment in the Hindu Marriage Act,"
the INLD MLA from Dabwali said.
He said if Hooda was serious on the matter, he should
immediately accept INLD`s demand and convene a special session
of the legislative assembly for amending the Hindu Marriage
"Hooda should also put pressure on the UPA government
at the Centre to facilitate amendment in the Act as early as
possible to protect our age-old customs and traditions," he
The INLD is backing the demand of Khap panchayats or
caste councils for amending the Hindu Marriage Act to prohibit
wedlocks within the same gotra.
Talking to reporters at Manesar yesterday, Hooda toed
the line of Khap panchayats saying he was against marriages in
the same gotra.
"Not allowing marriage in the same gotra is part of
our customs. It is not limited to any particular caste," he
Speaking at Rohtak on Thursday, Hooda said "marriages
within the same gotra are not appropriate."
He, however, asked the self-styled community councils
to act in accordance with the law of the land to prohibit such
After the diktats of Khap panchayats against couples
who had married in the same gotra sparked an outrage, Hooda
had said no one would be allowed to take the law into their
Hooda`s young party colleague and MP from Kurukshetra
Navin Jindal had attended a Khap congregation at Kaithal last
month and promised to take up their demand for an amendment in
the Hindu Marriage Act with the party high command.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan