Haryana asks schools to hold self-defence classes for girls
Chandigarh: Haryana government has asked the School Education Department to hold self-defence classes for girl students to check increasing crime against them.
"Such measures have been necessitated in view of recent incidents of sexual abuse and cases of rape of minor girls and women in the region," Director General, Women and Child Development Department, Sumita Misra said here on Thursday.
Haryana has in the past few months seen a spurt in number of rape cases including two such cases where the victim girls, both Dalits and aged 16 each, and hailing from Jind and Sonepat districts, respectively, committed self-immolation after being raped.
Misra said regular classes of self-defence should be organised for girl students of classes VIth onwards to instill greater confidence and self-protection abilities in them.
"Also, self-defence workshops should be organised at regular interval. The Department of Sports and Youth Affairs could be contacted to get help of Physical Training Instructors to organise such classes and workshops," she said.
Apart from this, she said, complaint boxes could also be placed in all schools for girl students so that they might drop their complaints regarding sexual harassment or molestation in these drop boxes and the same should be referred to the District Child Protection Officer for further action and counselling.
She hoped that such measures would help in creation of safe and congenial atmosphere for the growth and development of girls in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe