Haryana asks schools to hold self-defence classes for girls
Chandigarh: Haryana government has asked the School Education Department to hold self-defence classes for girl students to check increasing crime against them.
"Such measures have been necessitated in view of recent incidents of sexual abuse and cases of rape of minor girls and women in the region," Director General, Women and Child Development Department, Sumita Misra said here on Thursday.
Haryana has in the past few months seen a spurt in number of rape cases including two such cases where the victim girls, both Dalits and aged 16 each, and hailing from Jind and Sonepat districts, respectively, committed self-immolation after being raped.
Misra said regular classes of self-defence should be organised for girl students of classes VIth onwards to instill greater confidence and self-protection abilities in them.
"Also, self-defence workshops should be organised at regular interval. The Department of Sports and Youth Affairs could be contacted to get help of Physical Training Instructors to organise such classes and workshops," she said.
Apart from this, she said, complaint boxes could also be placed in all schools for girl students so that they might drop their complaints regarding sexual harassment or molestation in these drop boxes and the same should be referred to the District Child Protection Officer for further action and counselling.
She hoped that such measures would help in creation of safe and congenial atmosphere for the growth and development of girls in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’