Haryana Assembly slams Abhay Chautala for "selfish" conduct
Chandigarh: Haryana Assembly today condemned the "obstinate and selfish conduct" of MLA and IOA president Abhay Singh Chautala "for causing incalculable damage to the career of sportspersons and Olympic movement" and passed an unanimous resolution calling upon the Union Sports Ministry to cleanse the system.
In a resolution moved by state Parliamentary Affairs minister Randeep Surjewala and passed after a 90-minute discussion in absence of opposition members, the House called upon the Union Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs to immediately implement `Model Sports Code` in the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) as well as in sports federations/ bodies of the country.
"The House condemns such an obstinate and selfish conduct of Abhay Singh Chautala, a member of this House (Assembly) as also other tainted sports administrators, which has caused incalculable damage to the career of sports persons, sports bodies and the Olympic movement itself," the resolution said.
It called upon the Ministry to cleanse the system, in which even the tainted manage to stick to their posts, jeopardising the future of promising players and not caring for the country`s prestige.
The code will ensure India`s participation in all international events, secure the future of sportspersons and ensure a fair, just, equitable and morally appropriate administration of sports in India, the resolution said.
"Tainted politicians-cum-sports administrators, are however, challenging the very foundation of India`s shining place in the sports arena. These self-serving sports administrators have put a question mark on the career of budding players by converting the National Sports Federations/bodies into their personal fiefdoms," the resolution said.
Unfortunately, all tainted sports administrators-cum-politicians opposed the implementation of this `Model Sports Code` in the name of independence of Olympic Charter, it said.
"They refuse to follow the law of the land in the guise of following the Olympic Charter, ignoring provisions relating to ethics," the resolution said.
Speaking on the resolution, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda launched a scathing attack on Abhay and Ajay Singh Chautala, both members of the House.
"Yesterday the House was debating the misuse of power by them (Chautalas), today there is another example of blatant misuse of power where you have one brother (Abhay) occupying the IOA and the other (Ajay) the Table Tennis Federation.
Their only interest is to serve their vested interests and they have no concern for the country`s prestige, which is at stake," Hooda said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH