Haryana closes hookah bars
Chandigarh: Haryana has emerged as the first hookah bar-free state with authorities closing down all such 66 places, Commissioner Food and Drug Administration Rakesh Gupta said on Wednesday.
The decision was taken after raids were conducted on hookah bars and 100 samples were taken, out of which 90 were found nicotine positive, an official release said.
Gupta said court cases have been filed against owners of 22 hookah bars and over 100 cases have been filed against illegal sale of intoxicants. Besides, 50 chemist shops have been sealed in the last six months.
Licences of 40 chemist shops have been cancelled and four owners have been booked under Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substance Act.
Gupta warned that strict action would be taken against chemists found selling medicines above Maximum Retail Price or tampering the original MRP.
He also said a special drive has been launched to nab quacks and unregistered medical practitioners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!