Haryana Congress issues notice to Goyat for his comments
Chandigarh: Haryana Congress leader Dharambir Goyat, who has sparked a row with his comment that 90 per cent of the rape cases involved "consensual sex", was on Friday issued a notice by his party seeking explanation for his remarks.
Goyat has been asked to reply within 15 days.
Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee (HPCC) has asked him to explain his comments and also sought his reply "why action should not be taken against him for his comments which the party neither holds nor supports", HPCC sources said even as HPCC president Phool Chand Mullana was not contactable.
In case his reply was found to be unsatisfactory disciplinary action would be taken against him, the sources added.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda interacting with media after reviewing the situation with senior police officers of the state distanced himself from the comments of Goyat.
"Congress does not hold the view expressed by Goyat," Hooda said adding that the views expressed by the Hissar leader were his personal. "It is his view," he added.
However, Goyat later retracted from his statement.
"The girl gets into an affair with a boy and she goes with him without knowing that he is of criminal mindset. It`s not the state government which is responsible for rapes. Infact in most of the cases it is consensual sex," Goyat, HPCC member and Congress Hisar district spokesman told reporters in Hisar last night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!