Haryana Congress issues notice to Goyat for his comments
Chandigarh: Haryana Congress leader Dharambir Goyat, who has sparked a row with his comment that 90 per cent of the rape cases involved "consensual sex", was on Friday issued a notice by his party seeking explanation for his remarks.
Goyat has been asked to reply within 15 days.
Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee (HPCC) has asked him to explain his comments and also sought his reply "why action should not be taken against him for his comments which the party neither holds nor supports", HPCC sources said even as HPCC president Phool Chand Mullana was not contactable.
In case his reply was found to be unsatisfactory disciplinary action would be taken against him, the sources added.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda interacting with media after reviewing the situation with senior police officers of the state distanced himself from the comments of Goyat.
"Congress does not hold the view expressed by Goyat," Hooda said adding that the views expressed by the Hissar leader were his personal. "It is his view," he added.
However, Goyat later retracted from his statement.
"The girl gets into an affair with a boy and she goes with him without knowing that he is of criminal mindset. It`s not the state government which is responsible for rapes. Infact in most of the cases it is consensual sex," Goyat, HPCC member and Congress Hisar district spokesman told reporters in Hisar last night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information