Haryana cop shot dead by unidentified assailant
Rohtak: A sub-inspector of Haryana Police was shot dead by an unidentified assailant near Kheri Saadh village, about 10 km away from the district headquarter, police said on Saturday.
The incident took place on Friday night when 51-year-old Balwan Sharma, who was posted as in-charge at Kharawar Police Post, was coming back to the post from Kheri Sadh village in his vehicle after making inquiries in a case relating to a missing woman. He was accompanied by constable Harvinder Singh.
As soon as they reached the outskirts of the village, three labourers of Ch. Ranbir Singh Modern Industrial Township stopped their vehicle and pointed out towards a youth who was fleeing after allegedly snatched their money and mobile phones, police said.
The youth allegedly opened fire on Balwan Singh from a pistol after being nabbed by him. The assailant also fired on constable Harvinder Singh when he came to rescue his in-charge.
The assailant and the labourers fled from the spot after the incident.
Later, a motorcyclist passing by informed the Kharawar police post about the incident. Police rushed them to PGIMS where Balwan was declared brought dead. The constable has been admitted to the hospital.
Rohtak SP Vivek Sharma, DSP Pushpa Khatri and other policemen reached the spot and took stock of the situation.
Later, a team of forensic experts also visited the scene of crime and lifted some blood samples from there.
"Four teams have been constituted to nab the killer who is yet to be identified.Statements of some villagers who were roaming nearby at the time of incident are being recorded to find out clues about the killer," said a police official.
A case of murder has been registered against the unidentified youth.
This is the fourth such attack on police personnel in the home district of Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda in the last six months. Earlier, a retired inspector and an SI were murdered while four other cops suffered injuries in separate attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly