Haryana cop shot dead by unidentified assailant
Rohtak: A sub-inspector of Haryana Police was shot dead by an unidentified assailant near Kheri Saadh village, about 10 km away from the district headquarter, police said on Saturday.
The incident took place on Friday night when 51-year-old Balwan Sharma, who was posted as in-charge at Kharawar Police Post, was coming back to the post from Kheri Sadh village in his vehicle after making inquiries in a case relating to a missing woman. He was accompanied by constable Harvinder Singh.
As soon as they reached the outskirts of the village, three labourers of Ch. Ranbir Singh Modern Industrial Township stopped their vehicle and pointed out towards a youth who was fleeing after allegedly snatched their money and mobile phones, police said.
The youth allegedly opened fire on Balwan Singh from a pistol after being nabbed by him. The assailant also fired on constable Harvinder Singh when he came to rescue his in-charge.
The assailant and the labourers fled from the spot after the incident.
Later, a motorcyclist passing by informed the Kharawar police post about the incident. Police rushed them to PGIMS where Balwan was declared brought dead. The constable has been admitted to the hospital.
Rohtak SP Vivek Sharma, DSP Pushpa Khatri and other policemen reached the spot and took stock of the situation.
Later, a team of forensic experts also visited the scene of crime and lifted some blood samples from there.
"Four teams have been constituted to nab the killer who is yet to be identified.Statements of some villagers who were roaming nearby at the time of incident are being recorded to find out clues about the killer," said a police official.
A case of murder has been registered against the unidentified youth.
This is the fourth such attack on police personnel in the home district of Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda in the last six months. Earlier, a retired inspector and an SI were murdered while four other cops suffered injuries in separate attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter