Haryana cop shot dead by young criminal
Rohtak: An officer of the Haryana Police was shot dead and a constable injured in firing by a youth near Haryana`s Rohtak town, 70 km from Delhi, police said on Saturday.
The victim, sub-inspector Balwan Sharma, who was posted as in-charge at Kharawar police post near here, was shot at by an unidentified youth near Kheri Saadh village on the National Highway No 10 late Friday night, police said.
Constable Harvinder Singh also sustained gun-shot wounds in the attack, and was admitted to the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (PGIMS) here. Doctors said he was out of danger.
The police officials were returning in their jeep after investigating a case when the attack occurred.
Police said that the jeep was stopped by three workers of the industrial township on the outskirts of Rohtak. They told the police officer that a youth with a weapon had snatched their money and mobile phones, and could be nabbed from that area, where he was roaming.
The police officer managed to get hold of the young man and made him sit in the jeep. The young man opened fire at close range from a pistol, killing the sub-inspector.
He fired at the constable too, and made good his escape.
The workers who had made the complaint also fled from the spot.
A man passing by on a motorcycle saw both the police officials lying on the road in a pool of blood, and informed local police. The victims were rushed to hospital, where doctors declared the sub-inspector dead.
No arrests have so far been made in the case. A case of murder has been registered against an unidentified young man.
This is the fourth attack on police personnel in Rohtak, the home district of Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, in the last six months.
A retired inspector and a sub-inspector were murdered, and four other policemen sustained injuries in different incidents.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May