Haryana dishonour killing: Girl`s father has `no regrets`
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Rohtak: After a young couple allegedly eloped in Haryana, Nidhi and Dharmendra were brutally murder by the girl`s family in a case of alleged honour killing.
The police said that once the couple returned home, the family of the girl lynched their daughter and Dharmendra was beheaded. While Nidhi`s family tried to cremate her in a hush-hush manner, the boy`s body was thrown outside his house.
The Haryana police arrested the father and uncle of the girl on Thursday. But after the shocking honour killing incident, the girl`s father said that he has no regret for he has done.
The two were good friends and studied together in a college in Rohtak. They were missing since Tuesday, sparking rumours of their marriage, police said.
Police suspect that the girl`s family had asked the couple to return from Delhi. The family was unhappy that she was having an affair with the young man, and had eloped with him on Tuesday.
The victims were friends studying in institutions in Rohtak, 10 km from their village.
Reacting to the incident, chairperson of National Commission for Women Mamta Sharma said that all those who are involved in the horrific incident must be arrested. Khap panchayats have no constitutional right and the government must act, added Sharma.
As per the diktat of Khap panchayats (community councils), marriages within the same village and community are not allowed.
In the past, young couples have been killed and attacked by khaps which do not accept marriages within the same gotra or village.
In some cases, the man and woman, even after they get married, are forced to accept each other as brother and sister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'