Haryana dishonour killing: Girl`s father has `no regrets`
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Rohtak: After a young couple allegedly eloped in Haryana, Nidhi and Dharmendra were brutally murder by the girl`s family in a case of alleged honour killing.
The police said that once the couple returned home, the family of the girl lynched their daughter and Dharmendra was beheaded. While Nidhi`s family tried to cremate her in a hush-hush manner, the boy`s body was thrown outside his house.
The Haryana police arrested the father and uncle of the girl on Thursday. But after the shocking honour killing incident, the girl`s father said that he has no regret for he has done.
The two were good friends and studied together in a college in Rohtak. They were missing since Tuesday, sparking rumours of their marriage, police said.
Police suspect that the girl`s family had asked the couple to return from Delhi. The family was unhappy that she was having an affair with the young man, and had eloped with him on Tuesday.
The victims were friends studying in institutions in Rohtak, 10 km from their village.
Reacting to the incident, chairperson of National Commission for Women Mamta Sharma said that all those who are involved in the horrific incident must be arrested. Khap panchayats have no constitutional right and the government must act, added Sharma.
As per the diktat of Khap panchayats (community councils), marriages within the same village and community are not allowed.
In the past, young couples have been killed and attacked by khaps which do not accept marriages within the same gotra or village.
In some cases, the man and woman, even after they get married, are forced to accept each other as brother and sister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem