Haryana doctors arrested for sex determination tests
Chandigarh: Two doctors, including a woman, were arrested by police Friday after health department officials found them conducting sex determination tests on pregnant women in Haryana`s Yamunanagar district.
Both doctors, Nirmal Singh and Anu, escaped from their private hospital on Radaur road near Yamunanagar, 100 km from here, after health officials raided the premises.
However, the police, who were called in by health authorities, were able to arrest them later.
Haryana`s Mission Director-National Rural Health Mission said a case has been registered against both the doctors for violating the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act.
The health officials had raided Nirmal Hospital Friday following reports that sex determination tests were being done on pregnant women to ascertain the sex of the unborn child. Both doctors own the hospital.
During the raid, MTP disposable instruments were found by the health team. Two of these were used on patients.
Haryana has one of the worst sex ratios among states in the country at around 870 females per 1,000 males.
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- China hints at retaliation against US anti-dumping probe
- In home turf in Bihar, Kanhaiya Kumar all praise for Nitish Kumar, Lalu Yadav; slams Modi govt
- Realty firm Godrej Properties buys 49% stake in its arm Happy Highrises
- Paswan mocks possibility of Nitish becoming PM, says post not vacant for 15 years
- Kolkata wears forlorn look on poll day, less traffic on street