Haryana doctors arrested for sex determination tests
Chandigarh: Two doctors, including a woman, were arrested by police Friday after health department officials found them conducting sex determination tests on pregnant women in Haryana`s Yamunanagar district.
Both doctors, Nirmal Singh and Anu, escaped from their private hospital on Radaur road near Yamunanagar, 100 km from here, after health officials raided the premises.
However, the police, who were called in by health authorities, were able to arrest them later.
Haryana`s Mission Director-National Rural Health Mission said a case has been registered against both the doctors for violating the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act.
The health officials had raided Nirmal Hospital Friday following reports that sex determination tests were being done on pregnant women to ascertain the sex of the unborn child. Both doctors own the hospital.
During the raid, MTP disposable instruments were found by the health team. Two of these were used on patients.
Haryana has one of the worst sex ratios among states in the country at around 870 females per 1,000 males.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie