Haryana facing drought-like situation: Hooda
Chandigarh: With Haryana facing 70 per cent deficit rainfall during the current monsoon, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Friday demanded an assistance of Rs 4,050 crore from the Centre to bail out the state from the "drought-like situation."
A demand to this effect was made by Hooda to Union Ministers Sharad Pawar and Jairam Ramesh during their review meeting with the state government top brass on the drought- like condition in the state.
Hooda also demanded a bonus of Rs 200 per quintal on the Minimum Support Price (MSP) of paddy and Rs 100 on other crops.
During the meeting Ramesh said an additional budget of 30 per cent under the MANREGA would be provided, Hooda told reporters after the meeting here.
"Farmers in Haryana have to suffer a huge loss in view of scanty rainfall," he, said, adding, the Central Ministers admitted that a drought-like situation prevailed in Haryana.
On being asked whether the state would be declared drought-hit, the Chief Minister said that a drought-like situation prevailed in Haryana.
He, however, said that things have shown improvement after rainfall in the past couple of days.
"The monsoon season is not over yet...I hope good rainfall will take place in the coming days...If it doesn`t then the government will review the situation once again," he said.
Hooda also said that the state government had done a lot to bail out farmers from the present crisis.
The Centre had agreed to give an assistance of Rs 160 crore to Haryana for potable water with Rs 115 crore of it already released to the state, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away in Chennai after suffering cardiac arrest; PM Modi pays tribute to Tamil Nadu CM
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what