Haryana facing drought-like situation: Hooda
Chandigarh: With Haryana facing 70 per cent deficit rainfall during the current monsoon, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Friday demanded an assistance of Rs 4,050 crore from the Centre to bail out the state from the "drought-like situation."
A demand to this effect was made by Hooda to Union Ministers Sharad Pawar and Jairam Ramesh during their review meeting with the state government top brass on the drought- like condition in the state.
Hooda also demanded a bonus of Rs 200 per quintal on the Minimum Support Price (MSP) of paddy and Rs 100 on other crops.
During the meeting Ramesh said an additional budget of 30 per cent under the MANREGA would be provided, Hooda told reporters after the meeting here.
"Farmers in Haryana have to suffer a huge loss in view of scanty rainfall," he, said, adding, the Central Ministers admitted that a drought-like situation prevailed in Haryana.
On being asked whether the state would be declared drought-hit, the Chief Minister said that a drought-like situation prevailed in Haryana.
He, however, said that things have shown improvement after rainfall in the past couple of days.
"The monsoon season is not over yet...I hope good rainfall will take place in the coming days...If it doesn`t then the government will review the situation once again," he said.
Hooda also said that the state government had done a lot to bail out farmers from the present crisis.
The Centre had agreed to give an assistance of Rs 160 crore to Haryana for potable water with Rs 115 crore of it already released to the state, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you