Haryana govt action "provocative, unconstitutional": Badal
Chandgarh: Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Monday described the Haryana government`s action of getting a law enacted to set up a separate body for managing the affairs of Gurdwaras in that state as "provocative and a brazen interference in the religious affairs of the Sikh community".
Punjab Chief Minister, in a statement here, said, "this action was not only blatantly unconstitutional but was motivated by a desire to fulfill the long standing design of Congress to dilute and weaken the spiritual, social and political strength of the community by seeking to encourage divisions."
Badal appealed to the Centre to intervene in the matter, saying the Haryana government`s action has not only created a "constitutional crisis by openly encroaching upon the jurisdiction of the Parliament but will also hurt the religious sentiments of Sikhs all over the world."
He said that he simply could not understand the "desperation" of Bhupinder Singh Hooda to tread upon the Sikh religious territory while his mandate as the chief minister is to function as a secular head of government.
Badal also said the neighbouring state government should have shown sensitivity towards the potential threat which its action poses to the hard earned atmosphere of peace and communal harmony in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA