Haryana govt announces incentives for SC students
Jhajjar (Haryana): The Haryana government on Sunday decided to increase the monthly incentive of the poor students from the Scheduled Caste community, ranging from Rs 50 to Rs 200.
"The step will benefit 11 lakh such students, both boys and girls, and for which the government will provide additional Rs 150 crore in this regard," Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda said while addressing a state level function organised here to commemorate the 122nd birth anniversary of Dr Bhim Rao Ambedkar.
Announcing the hike in monthly incentives, Hooda said that the Scheduled Caste boys, studying in classes XI and XII would now get Rs 400 instead of Rs 300 and for girls of the same classes, it would be Rs 600 instead of Rs 400 earlier.
Similarly, he said that the SC boys studying in classes IX and X would now get Rs 250 instead of Rs 200 earlier, whereas for girls, it would be Rs 400 instead of Rs 300 earlier.
The state government had started this scheme in financial year 2008-09 to check the dropout rate among the weaker sections of the society. A sum of Rs 300 crore were spent by the state government to give monthly incentives to 10.72 lakh SC students during the last financial year.
While paying rich tributes to Dr Ambedkar, the chief minister described him as great scholar, patriot, economist, jurist and historian, who rendered right of franchise to every person.
"All his life, Dr Ambedkar struggled to promote self respect among the poorest of the poor. In the history of India, his name will always be written in golden letters," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray