Haryana govt waives 5% VAT on kerosene
Chandigarh: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Sunday announced the decision of the state government to waive off the 5 percent value added tax (VAT) on kerosene.
The decision to make kerosene VAT-free would make it cheaper by 70 paise per litre.
Now, the consumer in Haryana would have to pay Rs. 14 per litre instead of Rs. 14.70 per litre.
The VAT on LPG having already been waived in 2008, the waiver on kerosene today makes Haryana a VAT-free state for there two key items.
Mr. Hooda hinted that the state government would also take more steps to control price rise in the state.
The Chief Minister said here that the state was charging minimum 8.8 per cent (9.24 percent, including surcharge) on diesel, which was the lowest VAT rate in the country.
On the decision of the central government hiking prices of kerosene, diesel and LPG, he said, they had to increase the rates of petroleum products due to the hike in the global prices of oil.
The state government had decided to waive off VAT in keeping with the directions of the Congress President Sonia Gandhi, to minimise burden on the masses, he said.
Mr. Hooda said BJP-ruled states were charging maximum VAT on diesel which was 24.7 per cent in Gujarat; 23 per cent in Madhya Pradesh and 22 percent in Chattisgarh.
The diesel rates in Haryana were also the lowest in the country, he added.
Hooda announced that the rebate on LPG cylinders as given to the people of Haryana would continue. Since June, 2008, the Haryana Government had waived off 4 per cent VAT on LPG cylinders.
The rebate would continue and no VAT would be levied on LPG cylinders even though the minimum rate of VAT on LPG was 5 per cent, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt