‘Haryana has become balatkar pradesh’
Bhubaneswar: Dubbing Congress-ruled Haryana as a " balatkar pradesh" (rape state), the National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC) on Friday expressed concern over spurt in crimes against Dalits in BJD-governed Odisha where a cabinet minister is booked on criminal charges for alleged casteist remarks.
There had been marked rise in crimes against Dalits in Odisha where conviction rate is very low, NCSC chairman PL Punia told reporters after holding a meeting to assess performance of the state government in providing constitutional safeguards to the SC population.
Drawing a parallel between Odisha and Haryana, Punia said while 19 rapes were committed in a month in the northern state, there was over 18 per cent rise in crimes like rape, murder and arson against Dalits in this eastern state.
The NCSC chairman pointed out that criminal cases had been filed against Odisha`s health and family welfare minister Damodor Rout. "A person facing criminal charges should not be in the ministry. However, it is the prerogative of the chief minister to decide who will be in his cabinet," Punia said.
Rout had been accused of making casteist remark against Dalits at a public meeting in his home district of Jagatsinghpur in 2010. Recently, the minister allegedly made a similar anti-Dalit statement during "Ravan Podi" celebration during the Dusshera festival a Paradip.
Punia said, "It is up to the chief minister whether to allow rout to continue."
On former minister Pradip Maharathy case, Punia said the commission was not happy over the Odisha police investigation which concluded that the prime accused in the Pipili rape and murder case Prasant Pradhan was not taking shelter at the MLA`s farm house.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani