Haryana inspector murder: Prime suspect arrested
Chandigarh: Haryana Police have arrested a constable of the Chandigarh Police and his woman accomplice from Delhi, prime suspects in the murder case of a police inspector.
A top police officer of the Haryana Police confirmed that Basant Kumar alias Bunty, the fugitive constable of Chandigarh Police and his accomplice Sarita, have been arrested from Delhi late Saturday night.
The arrests were carried out by Sonepat Police, said Rohtak Range Inspector General of Police, A K Rao adding, "further investigations are under progress."
Basant Kumar, a sacked constable who had allegedly killed his lover`s husband and mother-in-law in Sonepat in April, had also allegedly murdered Chandigarh Police inspector Sucha Singh and critically injured his driver Jatinder on Saturday.
The Haryana police had earlier announced a reward of Rs 1 lakh to anyone providing information on Bunty.
Sucha Singh, who was posted in the traffic wing, was stabbed to death and Jatinder was critically injured when they stopped a couple roaming in the wee hours near the Sector 17 police station and had questioned them on their movements.
However, the duo had stabbed the two cops after they tried to take them to the police station for verification. Sucha Singh died at PGIMER here.
The name of Basant and his paramour Sarita had emerged as prime suspects in the case. They had managed to escape in a police vehicle and later abandoned it near Dhanas village on the outskirts of Chandigarh.
After the incident, Chandigarh police had constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) under a DSP rank officer to investigate the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?