Haryana Minister asks agitating Dalits to end stir
Hisar: Haryana government on Sunday asked Dalits of Bhagana village to end their stir against alleged misbehaviour of a particular community towards them and return to their homes, saying harmony will be restored in the hamlet.
Dalits of village Bhagana are squatting in front of the mini-secretariat here since May 21 to protest the alleged misconduct of members of a particular community towards them.
"We are determined to restore harmony in the village," Haryana`s Social Welfare Minister Geeta Bhukkal, who met representatives of the agitating Dalits today, told reporters.
She claimed she had succeeded in convincing them to end the stir and return to the village.
Dalits were represented at the meeting by Virendar Bagoriya and Bijendar Kumar. Deputy Commissioner Amit Kumar Aggarwal and SP Anil Dhawan were also present.
Virendar Bagoriya said six persons of their community who were arrested last week on the charge of sedition should be released. "Only then shall we withdraw the agitation and return to the village. We have requested the minister to remove the charge of sedition from the FIR," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress