Haryana minister calls Geetika `servant` of Gopal Kanda
Sirsa/Chandigarh: Haryana Minister Shiv Charan Sharma landed in a controversy after calling suicide victim Geetika Sharma a "servant" of his former ministerial colleague Gopal Kanda who is the prime accused in the case.
Sharma, the Minister for Labour and Employment who also said the case in which Kanda has been booked is not "such a big" one, came under fire on Tuesday from BJP and women`s bodies who dubbed the remark as insensitive, insulting and shameful. Geetika`s brother Ankit demanded an apology from the minister.
"This isn`t such a big case. He (Kanda) appointed her (Geetika) as a servant by mistake," Sharma, a Congress leader, said referring to the Geetika suicide case while participating in jailed Kanda’s birthday celebrations organised by his supporters in Sirsa on December 29. Geetika was an employee of the now defunct MDLR airline owned by Kanda.
As the remark sparked an outrage, Sharma apologised saying he had not said anything against the girl, who was like his "daughter" and he was misunderstood and the remark distorted.
"I haven`t said anything about the girl. All the government employees are servants only...I was misunderstood. If I have hurt anyone`s feelings I am apologising for it."
Sharma also sought to downplay the controversy, saying the Kanda case is in the court.
"I respect the court and court will decide whether he is a convict or not. If he has committed a crime, court will charge him otherwise he will be released. CBI is investigating the case. Within few days we will get the result of the investigation," he added.
The Opposition INLD demanded Sharma`s resignation from the Ministry for "pre-judging" the Geetika suicide case.
"The Minister by casting aspersions in a case which is under trial has tried to pre-judge the judicial process," INLD Secretary General Ajay Chautala said in a statement.
BJP`s Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi slammed Sharma calling his remark unfortunate and warned that people`s anger will rise because of such "insensitive" comments.
Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi said the party will talk to Sharma as he was not aware of the remark but stressed political leaders should make comments very carefully.
"He is insulting the girl (Geetika) by calling him Kanda`s servant. Question should be asked from him why the girl committed suicide," said National Commission for Women (NCW) Chief Mamata Sharma.
BJP`s Smriti Irani said the remark was extremely condemnable, especially when the atmosphere was surcharged after the death of the 23-year old Delhi gang-rape victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800