Haryana passes SEZ (Amendment) Bill; INLD stages walkout
Chandigarh: The Haryana Assembly, on the
last day of its sitting today, passed eleven Bills including
the Special Economic Zone (Amendment) Bill, 2010, on which
Opposition INLD staged a walkout, alleging that Government was
making an attempt to give benefit to an industrial house.
The Bill, introduced by state Industries Minister
Mahender Partap Singh, seeks to provide for refund of stamp
duty on land collected from developers of SEZs in the state
once notification is done.
Earlier, there was no provision in the Haryana SEZ Act,
2005, for refund of the stamp duty paid by developer on
registration of land purchased for the SEZ before its
notification whereas the Central SEZ Act, 2005, provides for
such a provision.
Strongly objecting the introduction of the Bill, Leader
of Opposition and INLD chief Om Prakash Chautala charged that
Government was making an attempt to provide benefit to the
tune of Rs 70 crore to a leading industrial house.
He also made some remarks which were later expunged.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Randeep Surjewala and
Congress MLA Raghubir Singh Kadian told Speaker H S Chatha
that Chautala had no right to cast "aspersions".
The Bill was then passed by the House in the absence of
Opposition members who staged a brief walkout.
The House also passed Haryana Value Added Tax (Amendment)
Bill -- through which the state is expected to mop up around
Rs 300 crore annually -- and the Private Universities
(Amendment) Bill among others.
Later, the Speaker adjourned the assembly sine die.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly