Haryana passes SEZ (Amendment) Bill; INLD stages walkout
Chandigarh: The Haryana Assembly, on the
last day of its sitting today, passed eleven Bills including
the Special Economic Zone (Amendment) Bill, 2010, on which
Opposition INLD staged a walkout, alleging that Government was
making an attempt to give benefit to an industrial house.
The Bill, introduced by state Industries Minister
Mahender Partap Singh, seeks to provide for refund of stamp
duty on land collected from developers of SEZs in the state
once notification is done.
Earlier, there was no provision in the Haryana SEZ Act,
2005, for refund of the stamp duty paid by developer on
registration of land purchased for the SEZ before its
notification whereas the Central SEZ Act, 2005, provides for
such a provision.
Strongly objecting the introduction of the Bill, Leader
of Opposition and INLD chief Om Prakash Chautala charged that
Government was making an attempt to provide benefit to the
tune of Rs 70 crore to a leading industrial house.
He also made some remarks which were later expunged.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Randeep Surjewala and
Congress MLA Raghubir Singh Kadian told Speaker H S Chatha
that Chautala had no right to cast "aspersions".
The Bill was then passed by the House in the absence of
Opposition members who staged a brief walkout.
The House also passed Haryana Value Added Tax (Amendment)
Bill -- through which the state is expected to mop up around
Rs 300 crore annually -- and the Private Universities
(Amendment) Bill among others.
Later, the Speaker adjourned the assembly sine die.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why