Haryana records highest sex ratio since 1901
Chandigarh: In a positive sign, Haryana has
registered a significant increase in overall sex ratio in the
latest Census -- from 861 females per 1,000 males in 2001 to
877 in 2011 -- the highest since year 1901.
Director, Census Operations (Haryana), Neerja Sekhar,
who released provisional statistics of the Census-2011, said
the sex ratio had increased in the state from 861 females per
1000 males in 2001 to 877 females per 1000 males in 2011.
"The sex ratio of 877 is the highest in Haryana since
1901," she told reporters here.
Neerja said the sex ratio in the 0-6 age group was
recorded at 830 as compared to 819 per 1000 males in the year
With population of over 2.53 crore that includes over
1.18 crore females as per provisional statistics, Haryana has
recorded a decadal population growth of 19.90 per cent during
2001-2011 as compared to 28.43 per cent in the previous
decade, she said.
The percentage of population of 0-6 age group to the
total population was recorded at 13.01 as compared to 15.77 in
She said that 20 out of 21 districts of Haryana are
below 880 in sex ratio of child population in the 0-6 age
group. Only Mewat district has a sex ratio of 903.
Also, Mewat, considered as backward district, has
recorded the highest overall sex ratio of 906 followed by
Fatehabad, which has sex ratio of 903 females per 1000 males.
In the 0-6 age group, Mewat has recorded the highest sex
ratio of 903, while Jhajjar recorded the lowest at 774
followed by Mahendragarh (778) and Sonepat (790).
The official said the maximum improvement was registered
in the sex ratio of 0 to six years in district Kurukshetra
which increased from 771 in 2001 to 817 in 2011.
Five districts of Haryana -- Jhajjar, Mahendragarh,
Rewari, Bhiwani and Faridabad -- have child sex ratio of 0 to
six years age group lower than 2001.
No district in Haryana is close to the India`s overall
sex ratio, which has increased by seven points since the last
Census to reach 940 in the Census 2011.
Among the neighbouring states, the sex ratio of Union
Territory Chandigarh is 818, Delhi is 866 and Punjab 893, with
Rajasthan faring somewhat better at 926.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE