Chandigarh: Haryana Roadways employees on Monday called off their strike against the government's move to grant route permits to private bus operators, after their talks with State Transport Minister Aftab Ahmed this morning.
"We have decided to call off the strike and suspend our stir. The Government has agreed to suspend granting 3,510 route permits to private bus operators. In our meeting today, it has been decided to leave the matter for the next government," Haryana Roadways Workers Union (HRWU) President Sarbat Singh Punia said.
The workers were on an indefinite strike since two days, crippling the bus services and causing inconvenience to passengers across the state.
The employees were protesting the state government's move to grant 3,510 route permits to private bus operators.
Aftab Ahmed, who was in Delhi, was not immediately available for his comment.
Puni said that Haryana Roadways bus services would normalise soon as they were conveying the decision arrived at today's meeting to the concerned employees.
Yesterday, the talks between Aftab Alam and union leaders held at Karnal had failed to bear fruit.
A large number of passengers had remained stranded across the State as the state transport buses remained off route during the strike period as the Haryana Roadways employees had given a call of indefinite "chakkka jam' on Saturday.
Jowel had earlier said that Haryana Roadways has a fleet of nearly 4,000 buses against a demand of 30,000 buses and it was not sufficient to meet the growing rush of commuters.