Haryana shame: 16th rape in a month, school expels victims
New Delhi: Adding to the shock level already prevailing in Haryana on reports of more than a dozen rapes in a month, yet another heinous incidence has come to light where a 13-year old was being raped for three months.
What’s more shocking is the reaction by the school authorities who expelled the girl and also her siblings.
The victim is a student of class six in a government school in Fatehabad, and the culprit in this case was a sexagenarian food vendor, who tempted the minor school girl by offering food to her and in turn kept raping her for three months. The girl later complained to her father yesterday and that is how the incidence came to the fore.
The 62-year old suspect was arrested after a medical examination of the girl confirmed rape, and a case was filed against him.
Haryana, which has been under fire recently for the rising incidence of crimes against the girl child and women, was also in news because of an absurd statement by a Khap leader who suggested that marriageable age of girls should be brought down to 16 years in order to curtail such incidences.
The statement drew widespread flak with Congress President Sonia Gandhi dismissing the Khap Panchayat leader`s suggestion, saying "We have a democratic system here, we have an independent judiciary...Law is in the hands of judiciary, nobody else".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?