Haryana shame: 16th rape in a month, school expels victims
New Delhi: Adding to the shock level already prevailing in Haryana on reports of more than a dozen rapes in a month, yet another heinous incidence has come to light where a 13-year old was being raped for three months.
What’s more shocking is the reaction by the school authorities who expelled the girl and also her siblings.
The victim is a student of class six in a government school in Fatehabad, and the culprit in this case was a sexagenarian food vendor, who tempted the minor school girl by offering food to her and in turn kept raping her for three months. The girl later complained to her father yesterday and that is how the incidence came to the fore.
The 62-year old suspect was arrested after a medical examination of the girl confirmed rape, and a case was filed against him.
Haryana, which has been under fire recently for the rising incidence of crimes against the girl child and women, was also in news because of an absurd statement by a Khap leader who suggested that marriageable age of girls should be brought down to 16 years in order to curtail such incidences.
The statement drew widespread flak with Congress President Sonia Gandhi dismissing the Khap Panchayat leader`s suggestion, saying "We have a democratic system here, we have an independent judiciary...Law is in the hands of judiciary, nobody else".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof