Haryana shame: 16th rape in a month, school expels victims
New Delhi: Adding to the shock level already prevailing in Haryana on reports of more than a dozen rapes in a month, yet another heinous incidence has come to light where a 13-year old was being raped for three months.
What’s more shocking is the reaction by the school authorities who expelled the girl and also her siblings.
The victim is a student of class six in a government school in Fatehabad, and the culprit in this case was a sexagenarian food vendor, who tempted the minor school girl by offering food to her and in turn kept raping her for three months. The girl later complained to her father yesterday and that is how the incidence came to the fore.
The 62-year old suspect was arrested after a medical examination of the girl confirmed rape, and a case was filed against him.
Haryana, which has been under fire recently for the rising incidence of crimes against the girl child and women, was also in news because of an absurd statement by a Khap leader who suggested that marriageable age of girls should be brought down to 16 years in order to curtail such incidences.
The statement drew widespread flak with Congress President Sonia Gandhi dismissing the Khap Panchayat leader`s suggestion, saying "We have a democratic system here, we have an independent judiciary...Law is in the hands of judiciary, nobody else".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range