Haryana shame: 16th rape in a month, school expels victims
New Delhi: Adding to the shock level already prevailing in Haryana on reports of more than a dozen rapes in a month, yet another heinous incidence has come to light where a 13-year old was being raped for three months.
What’s more shocking is the reaction by the school authorities who expelled the girl and also her siblings.
The victim is a student of class six in a government school in Fatehabad, and the culprit in this case was a sexagenarian food vendor, who tempted the minor school girl by offering food to her and in turn kept raping her for three months. The girl later complained to her father yesterday and that is how the incidence came to the fore.
The 62-year old suspect was arrested after a medical examination of the girl confirmed rape, and a case was filed against him.
Haryana, which has been under fire recently for the rising incidence of crimes against the girl child and women, was also in news because of an absurd statement by a Khap leader who suggested that marriageable age of girls should be brought down to 16 years in order to curtail such incidences.
The statement drew widespread flak with Congress President Sonia Gandhi dismissing the Khap Panchayat leader`s suggestion, saying "We have a democratic system here, we have an independent judiciary...Law is in the hands of judiciary, nobody else".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt