Haryana to hold judicial inquiry into Dalit attack
Chandigarh, June 10 (IANS) Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda Thursday said a judicial inquiry will be conducted into the incident of arson attack on the houses of Dalit (Balmiki) community in Hisar district`s Mirchpur village.
The Dalits of Mirchpur were targets of violence by the dominant upper caste members April 21. As many as 150 Dalit families were driven out of the village after an arson attack on their homes, about 300 km from Chandigarh.
A 70-year-old man and his 18-year-old physically challenged daughter were killed and at least 18 houses were damaged in the attack.
"It has been decided to order a judicial inquiry into the tragic incident of Mirchpur. Besides, a number of other steps will also be taken to fully protect the members of Balmiki community in Mirchpur. A peace committee, with two members from Delhi Balmiki Samaj, headed by Hisar deputy commissioner will also be constituted," said Hooda.
Last week, the Supreme Court directed the Haryana government to provide protection to the victims of the caste violence. The court also told the state government to re-build within 60 days the houses that were damaged and set on fire during violence.
As an ad-hoc arrangement, the court also directed the government to give employment to a member from each of the victim families under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme or any other similar scheme of the state government.
"All eligible families of Balmikis would be given residential plots of 100 square yard each in village Mirchpur. The government would also construct a primary school in the village and the members of Balmiki community would get employment under various schemes," stated Hooda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!