Haryana wants Khaps to fight atrocities against women
Chandigarh: Infamous for their unlawful social diktats, especially against women marrying within their gotra or clan, Haryana`s khap panchayats were Sunday asked by the state government to fight atrocities against women.
Haryana Education Minister Geeta Bhukkal urged social organisations and Khap panchayats "to give a befitting reply to those who indulge in atrocities against women".
Bhukkal was redressing grievances of people in Jhajjar district, 300 km from here. She said the state government was conscious of the dignity of all sections of society, especially women.
She said that Khap panchayats could play a major role in dealing with anti-social elements.
Haryana, which already has a skewed sex ratio of 877 females per 1,000 men, has seen a recent spurt in rapes. In less than one month, 12 rape cases have been reported from across Haryana.
Khaps are viewed as being primarily responsible for encouraging honour killings, caste and community segregation and passing strictures against those who do not follow traditional social customs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad