Have raised a valid issue: OP Dhankar on his controversial statement
Gurgaon: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader OP Dhankaron Sunday justified his controversial statement saying the party would get girls from Bihar to ensure that men in Haryana can get married.
"I have raised a valid issue. It was not my intention to offend anyone or any culture. If anyone has been hurt, they need to revisit my statement," said Dhankar.
"A good issue has been turned into a controversy. It is my concern that there are illegal marriages being carried out here. And women are not respected in such illegal marriages," he added.
He said that there must be more focus on this issue of illegal marriages, and added that the relations must be formed on the basis of respect.
Dhankar`s comment had reportedly drawn flak from opposition leaders.
Janata Dal (United) leader Ali Anwar said, "This is very inappropriate and wrong statement. Action should be taken against him. We have very good relations with Haryana but by giving such statement they spread communalism and that the men there are anti-women. Such people want to create hatred. This is very dangerous for the country."
CPI leader D Raja also said that the political parties need to educate their leaders on these matters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal