HC adjourns hearing in two FIRs against Rathore till Aug 9
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High
Court Monday adjourned till August 9 the hearing on two FIRs
filed in January against former DGP SPS Rathore in Ruchika
molestation case charging him with serious offences like
attempt to murder.
On April 5, High Court Judge Justice Sabina had adjourned
hearing in the case till today after the CBI had sought more
time to conduct the probe.
When the case came for hearing this morning, the CBI said
it needed more time to file its reply following which Justice
Sabina adjourned the case.
Rathore`s lawyer wife Abha today pleaded before the court
that the CBI should be directed to file the status report in
the case at the earliest as it has already taken a long time
to complete the investigations.
She also moved another application before the court
seeking early hearing in the case.
Abha had earlier moved an application before the court to
obtain a copy of the status report.
The two FIRs registered by the CBI in January this year
on the basis of complaints filed by Ruchika`s father S C
Girhotra and brother Ashu, accuse Rathore of committing
serious offences, including attempt to murder, wrongful
confinement, giving false evidence and doctoring post-mortem
report of the 14-year-old Ruchika.
Rathore`s plea for quashing of the third FIR under
section 306 IPC (abetment to suicide) had later been referred
to a High Court division bench.
Earlier, Rathore had filed a third petition seeking
quashing of the third FIR stating that the issue had been
settled earlier even at the level of the Supreme Court.
The High Court is also hearing on a day-to-day basis the
68-year-old Rathore`s revision petition challenging his
conviction in the molestation case.
Abha had on May 26 filed the revision petition in the
High Court on his behalf for suspension of sentence and grant
of bail to the former Haryana DGP, a day after the sessions
court here awarded him 18-month jail term for molesting
budding tennis player Ruchika.
Rathore has been lodged in the high security Burail jail
here since May 25.
Ruchika Girhotra had committed suicide three years after
being molested by Rathore on August 12, 1990.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH