HC adjourns hearing in two FIRs against Rathore till Sept 29
Chandigarh: Punjab and Haryana High Court Monday
adjourned till September 29 the hearing on two fresh FIRs
filed against former DGP SPS Rathore in Ruchika molestation
case, charging him with serious offences like attempt to murder
after the CBI again sought more time to file its reply.
On July 19, the CBI had asked for more time to conduct
its probe after which Justice Sabina had adjourned hearing in
the case till today.
Rathore`s counsel wife Abha pleaded before the court that
the CBI should be directed to file the status report in the
case at the earliest, as it has already taken a long time to
complete the investigations.
However, the CBI sought more time to file its reply
following which the judge adjourned the hearing till September
The two FIRs registered by the CBI in January this year
on the basis of complaints filed by Ruchika`s father S C
Girhotra and brother Ashu accuse Rathore of committing
serious offences including attempt to murder, wrongful
confinement, giving false evidence and doctoring post-mortem
report of 14-year-old Ruchika.
Rathore`s plea for quashing of the third FIR under
Section 306 IPC (abetment to suicide) had later been referred
to a High Court division bench.
Earlier, Rathore, who has been lodged in the high security
Burail jail here since May 25, had filed another petition
seeking quashing of the third FIR stating that the issue had
been settled earlier even at the level of the Supreme Court.
The High Court is also hearing on day-to-day basis
68-year-old Rathore`s revision petition challenging his
conviction in the molestation case.
Abha had on May 26 filed the revision petition in the
High Court, a day after the sessions court here awarded him
18-month jail term for molesting budding tennis player
Ruchika Girhotra had committed suicide three years after
being molested by Rathore on August 12, 1990.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet