HC directs for expeditious trial of crimes against women
Chandigarh: The Punjab and Haryana High Court has sent a written communication to all District and Sessions Judges (DSJ) in Haryana, Punjab and Chandigarh to ensure expeditious disposal of trials relating to heinous crimes against women in their respective sessions division.
These crimes fall under sections 376 (rape) and 304-B (harassment and murder of woman) of Indian Penal Code (IPC), an official spokesman said here today.
The Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court has also asked DSJs to send progress report of such cases by the 10th of every month.
The Haryana government had earlier made a written request to the High Court for consideration of appropriate and effective directions for fast tracking of all cases of such crimes against women that are under trial in various courts in the state.
The state government had requested that if the High Court finds it appropriate then it could specially monitor cases of heinous crimes, with the objective of reducing delay in judgement.
The Haryana Government has also sent a written communication to all deputy commissioners, superintendents of police and district attorneys in the state to constitute district-level committees for strict monitoring of such crimes, a spokesman said.
This committee would meet at least once in 15 days and expedite each case while ensuring that there is no laxity.
The committee would also review other aspects of the cases including legal aid to the victim, compensation and medical aid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’