HC judge withdraws from case after MLAs misbehaved with court
Chandigarh: A Punjab and Haryana High Court
judge Wednesday withdrew from a case seeking disqualification of
five defected Haryana MLAs and slammed them for their apparent
attempt to influence the judiciary, saying the legislators do
not know how to behave with the court.
"Advise your clients not to behave like that," Justice
Permod Kohli told the counsel for the MLAs, who joined the
ruling Congress last year after they quit Haryana Janhit
As the case came up for hearing this afternoon, Justice
Kohli made it amply clear that an attempt has been made to
influence the administration of justice.
Kohli did not elaborate on the nature of misbehaviour,
but asserted: "I do not want to hear the matter. List it
before some other Bench." He was listening to the petition
filed by Haryana Janhit Congress president Kuldeep Bishnoi.
Bishnoi`s counsel Satya Pal Jain said the "misbehaviour"
was "most unfortunate" - an assertion that was not refuted by
Mohan Jain, counsel for the Haryana Assembly Speaker, and
Harbhagwan Singh, counsel for the MLAs.
Notice has also been issued to the five MLAs -- Satpal
Sangwan, Vinod Bhyana, Narender Singh, Zileram and Dharam
Singh. They had joined Congress in November 2009.
Additional Solicitor-General Mohan Jain said in case
anyone has done something, then it was unfortunate.
Seeking their disqualification from the membership of
Haryana Assembly, under 10th scheduled to the Constitution,
Bishnoi has made Speaker Harmohinder Singh Chatha a respondent
Bishnoi also leveled allegation of mala fide against
Chatha, accusing him of trying to shield the "defector" MLAs.
In November 2009, the five members submitted applications
to the Speaker saying the "legislators of Haryana Janhit
Congress have decided to merge the party with the Indian
National Congress." On the same day, the Speaker without
notice to the HJC president, passed two orders accepting the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information