Hisar bypolls: EC gives instructions to candidates
Chandigarh: The Election Commission on Monday instructed candidates contesting in the Hisar bypoll to refrain from attending community kitchens, which distribute free food to electors, and issued guidelines for organisation of such events.
"The Commission has observed that community kitchen like `preetibhoj`, `36 biradariyon ka khaana`, `gao zeemana` and `saya` in local parlance were organised during the election campaign and many electors are being entertained to free food here," Haryana Chief Electoral Officer Sumita Misra said.
With the model code of conduct in place, the poll candidates should refrain from attending such functions in their area, Misra said.
The Commission has directed that if any candidate attends such a community kitchen, either organised by him or by any other person to entertain electors, the entire expenditure would be treated as the candidate`s election expense.
The October 13 Hisar bypoll was necessitated following the death of former Haryana chief minister Bhajan Lal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'