Hisar bypolls: EC gives instructions to candidates
Chandigarh: The Election Commission on Monday instructed candidates contesting in the Hisar bypoll to refrain from attending community kitchens, which distribute free food to electors, and issued guidelines for organisation of such events.
"The Commission has observed that community kitchen like `preetibhoj`, `36 biradariyon ka khaana`, `gao zeemana` and `saya` in local parlance were organised during the election campaign and many electors are being entertained to free food here," Haryana Chief Electoral Officer Sumita Misra said.
With the model code of conduct in place, the poll candidates should refrain from attending such functions in their area, Misra said.
The Commission has directed that if any candidate attends such a community kitchen, either organised by him or by any other person to entertain electors, the entire expenditure would be treated as the candidate`s election expense.
The October 13 Hisar bypoll was necessitated following the death of former Haryana chief minister Bhajan Lal.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Indian Premier League 2016: Chris Morris does justice to whopping price tag for Delhi Daredevils with incredible 82-run knock
- Facebook profits surge as user base expands
- Watch - Maiden rocket launch from Russia's brand new Vostochny Cosmodrome!
- 'Revamped' Varanasi ghats to go green - PM Modi set to distribute e-boats to boatmen of Ganga
- Air travellers to get refund on development fee for tickets booked beyond April 30