Hisar gangrape: NCSC seeks report, asks Haryana to check incidents
New Delhi: National Commission for Scheduled Caste (NCSC) has sought an action taken report (ATR) from Haryana adminstration at the earliest on the alleged gangrape of a dalit girl earlier this month and has asked the Chief Minister to ensure that such incidents are not repeated.
"Nothing can be more shameful than rape of a dalit girl in independent India. We have asked the state government to register a case under the SC/ST Atrocities Act and have sought an ATR from the district administration at the earliest," NCSC Chairman P L Punia said here, adding the Commission will provide the victim Rs 5 lakh.
NCSC Vice Chairperson Raj Kumar Verka had visited Hisar yesterday to met the victim and family members.
He also held a meeting with the district police to take stock of the progress in the case.
The Commission has also written a letter to the Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda asking him to put in place sufficient measures to ensure that such incidents are not repeated in the future.
"We had sought a preliminary report from the Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Hisar on Sept 20. We were told that one of the accused has been arrested. But several more people are still at large and they should be arrested at the earliest," Punia said.
For rehabilitating the victim, Punia said, "There cannot be any compensation for her trauma.
But Commission is taking measures to rehabilitate her. We will provide her Rs 5 lakh cash and a job is being ensured either for her or one of the family member," he said.
It is also being ensured that the victim completes her education and comes out of the trauma soon, he added.
On taking up the issue of atrocities against dalits in Haryana, Punia said, "I have written to the Chief Minister of Haryana. I have told him that our members will like to interact with the district administrations in the state so that such a heinous crime is not repeated in the future."
The incident came to light after the victim narrated the incident to her mother earlier this month.
Reportedly, the accused threatened the victim`s family that they would make her objectionable pictures public if the matter was reported to the police.
Apprehending humiliation, the victim`s father- a daily labourer- killed himself by consuming poison, leading to a massive public outcry in Hisar.
The district police has registered a case against the accused under sections 376 and 306 of the IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Hindu community not allowed to exercise its Right to Information in Pakistan, activists protest