Hisar limping back to normalcy after violence
Hisar (Haryana): Life started limping back to normal here on Wednesday, a day after curfew was imposed in parts of Hisar district due to widespread violence by the Jat community that was demanding reservations in jobs and educational institutions, said police.
"Curfew has been lifted from the district. All the routes where traffic was either disrupted or completely snapped have resumed as per routine. Around 90 percent roads are open and traffic is running smoothly," Pankaj Nyan, acting superintendent of police, Hisar, said.
Members of the All India Jat Aarakshan Sangarsh Samiti had gone on the rampage on Monday and Tuesday, targeting government and private property. However, they suspended the protests after an assurance by the Haryana government late Tuesday.
"The overall situation is totally under control and no untoward incident has been reported in Hisar since morning. Enough security personnel have been deployed at all sensitive locations in the district to keep an eye on all anti-social elements," Nyan said.
Members of the Jat community were seeking reservation in government jobs and educational institutions and to give them other backward class (OBC) status.
One youth, Sunil Lamba, was killed in police firing and several were injured in Monday`s clashes.
"People have started coming out for their work as usual. Shopkeepers have also opened their shops. Though some tension still prevails in some parts of the area, there is nothing to worry about and we have made all arrangements to tackle any kind of emergency situation," stated Nyan.
Following the violence, Hisar Superintendent of Police Subhash Yadav was booked and removed from his post late Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof